Earl and I went to UCI Medical Center today during my lunch break. A friend's mom (who is also a friend) was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She was supposed to have surgery today to remove the cancer. I texted my friend this morning and asked if I could come by during my lunch break. I know our family usually could use the extra support while we were sitting waiting around - at the very least, it gave us new conversation topics. When we arrived, both she and her dad were upstairs getting an update from the doctors.
Forty minutes later they came downstairs and puffy eyes quickly signaled it was time for us to leave. We apologized and tried to slip by them, but her dad stopped us and shared with the few friends waiting that once the doctors began the surgery they discovered the cancer was also present in her liver. We hugged them and left them to the decisions, conversations, and tears I knew would be coming.
An hour later I texted her and she wrote back that if there was anyone who understood, she knew I did.
I knew that one day I would be in this position - comforting someone else going through the loss of someone to cancer. Situations and trials are not wasted in God's economy. He orchestrates our lives to help and support each other. This is actually the third time I have done it since Mommy's passing. But it is the first time the situation so closely mirrored our situation.
So, these are the things I am praying for them: to have faith to believe God still performs miracles, to put their hope in His unfailing love and His mercy, to trust His goodness, to have joy in the days to come, to learn about heaven and encourage each other with eternity. I pray that they would love deeper and continued trust, faith and hope for the next situation. And I pray for comforting arms in the middle of the night, peace when they don't understand, and meaningful time.
I think that one of the best things we could do was learn about Heaven in those weeks we spent in the hospital. Those were trying times but they made us a stronger family. I will pray for them too...
ReplyDelete