Sunday, September 4, 2011

Worship Is...

The theme over the past week has been "worship."  What is worship? How is it displayed in our lives?

After flying back home to California from Canada last year, I went to a Ladies' Study and the teaching was on worship and how it's displayed in our lives.  This is what I shared that Tuesday evening last October.

Now there was a day when his sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house; and a messenger came to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them, when the Sabeans raided them and took them away—indeed they have killed the servants with the edge of the sword; and I alone have escaped to tell you!” 

While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants, and consumed them; and I alone have escaped to tell you!” 

While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “The Chaldeans formed three bands, raided the camels and took them away, yes, and killed the servants with the edge of the sword; and I alone have escaped to tell you!” 

While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “Your sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house, and suddenly a great wind came from across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell on the young people, and they are dead; and I alone have escaped to tell you!” 

Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head; and he fell to the ground and worshiped. And he said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked shall I return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD.” 
Worship is choosing to give God the glory due His name not because of our circumstances, but in spite of our circumstances.

Now, at that point, I had dissolved into a puddle of tears and I couldn't say anything else, but I would add that when we are at that place of being able to praise His name in the storm, it's sweet to Him. Our praise is that sweet smelling aroma.  The teaching at church today was on John 12 when Mary anoints Jesus' feet with the costly oil.  When our worship costs us something, when it comes from brokenness, it fills our lives and those around us with the fragrance.

Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name.  Hebrews 13:15

1 comment:

  1. I taught on the Job passage last week in my Bible study -- and these are the precious women that walked with me through the dark days of last year. When we talked about Job, we talked about your mom, and God giving and taking away.

    You have been that fragrance. You continue to be that fragrance. Your mom was that fragrance to me and so many other people that she blessed with her heart and life.

    I love you, Melinda. I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete