Thursday, February 12, 2009

When I Get Where I'm Going

So, there has been a request for an update. Other than working (!!!) I actually had a pretty busy weekend. Last Thursday I went over to a friends to make cupcakes for a DSAOC event. We copied Martha's design (not her recipe, we are both girls with full-time jobs - making cupcakes and icing from scratch was NOT going to happen!). They were so cute - vanilla and chocolate with strawberry icing and brownie hearts on top. It was POURING rain and Earl was in Yucca Valley for the band rehearsal. I got to her place around 7ish and we commenced eating homemade tamales, spanish rice and sauteed onions and green peppers - delish! Then we got to work making cupcakes and decorating and gabbing. All the while, I was completely oblivious to the myriad of text messages I received from my loving husband - who decided to surprise me and not tell me he was home. He even hid the truck so I wouldn't see it when I drove in. So, he got home around 8pm and I didn't get home until 10 - so it was a bit of a bummer to miss spending those precious hours with him since we have not seen each other for more than about an hour a day for two weeks and not all all since this past Saturday. But, it was a blessing nonetheless. Friday was Girls' Night at DSAOC and my friend Lindsey did a class showing us how to do our hair and make-up - I was the "model." Then Kevin Arthur (he's played bass for Christina Aguilera, Common, etc) who is helping with the arranging of Shachah's album spent the night on Friday and I drove Earl, the band and Kev to the airport at 5:30am. I took a little nap and headed into the office for a few hours and spent just about the rest of the weekend with Ali. So, you may ask what is getting me through all those hours at the office - my ipod! I have Taylor, Les Mis, and Brad Paisley on a steady rotation. My favorite song today is Brad's "When I Get Where I'm Going" (featuring Dolly Parton). I can't "embed" the youtube video for some reason, but here's a URL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Zfx5qra_g) and the lyrics, because they are SO GOOD! (and Dolly was the perfect choice!)
When I get where I'm going
On the far side of the sky
The first thing that I'm gonna do
Is spread my wings and fly
I'm gonna land beside a lion
And run my fingers through his mane
Or I might find out what it's like
To ride a drop of rain
[Chorus]Yeah when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
I will shed the sins and struggles
I have carried all these years
And I'll leave my heart wide open
I will love and have no fear
Yeah when I get where I'm going
Don't cry for me down here
I'm gonna walk with my granddaddy
And he'll match me step for step
And I'll tell him how I missed him
Every minute since he left
Then I'll hug his neck
[Repeat chorus]
So much pain and so much darkness
In this world we stumble through
All these questions I can't answer
So much work to do
But when I get where I'm going
And I see my Maker's face
I'll stand forever in the light
Of His amazing grace
Yeah when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
Hallelujah
I will love and have no fear
When I get where I'm going
Yeah when I get where I'm going
So, Saturday is the Red Carpet Ball with the DSAOC. There have been many planning meetings and get togethers to get all the pieces in line. I am looking forward to it! And, of course, there will be pictures! Earl is getting home on Saturday night, so we will spend most of the day together and then the band is playing Sunday night. This should be a fun weekend!

2 comments:

  1. awesome! i love that song, which i know because of dolly. you guys sound like you're doing awesome things for DSAOC. you should be very proud of your work!

    and isn't that earl sa-weet?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of you, too. And so very grateful. :)

    ReplyDelete