Monday, July 20, 2009

Doctors and Housesitting

Currently, I am sitting in the outdoor patio area, listening to the pool's mini-waterfall create that oh-so-relaxing sound and blogging. Housesitting is pretty sweet! I have Maizie to keep me company in my post-sisters loneliness, so I am grateful for some companionship, even of the four-legged variety.
I left work to head over to my new hematologist to hopefully get a prescription for some Stimate so I can have my wisdom teeth removed at some point this year and hopefully before tax season. I was only there for 15 minutes before they took me in for height/weight measurements, blood pressure, etc (a record time for a doctor's office!) and everything was within normal ranges. Dr. Mummaneni came in and did the usual questions and then decided to just write the prescription without getting a blood panel. A real cost saver!! I was stoked to avoid the needles too :o)
I walked downstairs to the hospital pharmacy to check the price and possibly get it filled and the pharmacist came back with a whopping $600! I thought for sure I could get it cheaper at Costco or Target - $591.99 at Costco and Target couldn't even locate it (check on that for me, will ya Mary?!) ;o)
The whole incident made me want to pull a "Really? With Seth and Amy." Like, Really, you are going to charge $600 for a prescription with an expiration date? Really? Like you really think that's okay? And my health insurance REALLY isn't going to give me a prescription deductible? Really? So I have to pay the full $591.99? Really?
So, needless to say, I may be waiting a little while to get the Stimate and will put off my wisdom teeth removal for the immediate time being. But it is good to know that I have said prescription and can get it should a more immediate need arise.
I know I still owe a post-trip debriefing blog, which will be in process and hopefully come before the end of the week. AND I have lots of pictures to go through and upload, etc.
Hope everyone is having a good day and staying cool! It's about 90 degrees in the OC - definitely hotter than we are used to!

3 comments:

  1. boo on over priced medicine...we miss you over here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What ever happened to the old "Meds are so much cheaper in Canada"? Might be worth a try...

    ReplyDelete