This morning Mary's phone alarm went off at 6am and I could not fall back asleep, but the sun was rising so I took the opportunity to read my Bible, pray and sing worship songs. It was a wonderful way to start this day. We all met downstairs for breakfast at 8:30 and then Gudrun (Omi's sister), Jenni, and Stefani (Gudrun's daughter) and I left for Lensahn. We made a couple stops along the way, but made it to the church.
The service was beautiful. It was simple and elegant and very respectful. I felt we were properly honoring her life. After the service in the church, we all walked over to the cemetery and a few words were spoken there, Katherine's blog post was read and we each laid a rose around the site. The cemetery is so peaceful. It is shaded with glorious trees and each plot is filled with beautiful flowers planted like a garden.
At this point we all journeyed to a restaurant for a light lunch and then walked through the town to the family home. My Ur-Opa built this home from bricks that were salvaged from Hamburg after World War II. It was very beautiful to stand on the property and look out over the countryside at the sheep that were grazing across the creek. There were apple and plum trees galore. And to know my father had spent his summers growing up in this home was pretty special. Then we walked a couple blocks over to where Omi and Gudrun lived after the war. There is so much history in this small town. It was quite wonderful to be here and see it first hand.
We came back to the hotel and then left for dinner. We ate along the coast of the Baltic Sea. There were fierce winds that blew and we were glad Gudrun kept placing shawls, coats and scarves on us as we were leaving the hotel. Mary, Papa, Uncle Holger and I ventured out to the water's edge after dinner and placed our hands in the FREEZING water. Just to say we've been "in" the Baltic Sea.
Now, I am heading out for a short stroll along the grounds and then I'll meet everyone back at the dining hall for some chit-chat before bed. We are hoping to do a little sight-seeing tomorrow around the area and then Mary and Jenni will be leaving on Sunday. It was a very short trip, but we are all glad that we could be here. Katherine's post really made it feel like the rest of the family was here too. To hear her words shared at the gravesite was a special touch.
Katherine's blog entry was absolutely beautiful. I'm glad that you all are together. Family is good. Very good.
ReplyDeleteIt definitely sounds like the right touch of closure, I'm glad the three of you (and Katherine's words) could make it.
ReplyDelete