I am attaching the latest information from Tony (a few hours old, but the same main information). First I need to say that I am so grateful for Tony. I am so glad that he is in our lives and holding our family together through this. So so grateful for him. Tony, thank you for everything you have done and everything you continue to do. We are praying for you constantly.
Beth had the exploratory surgery (biopsy) today around noon. She was in the operating room about two hours.
There is a tumor in her throat and neck. It is a large, irregularly shaped mass that spans from one side to the other. We will not know what type of tumor it is until we get back the results of the biopsy. We do not know how long that will take. The doctor said it may take weeks.
He said the tumor could be benign...but it could be cancer. He said the tumor is inoperable because of how it is spread out. He said if the biopsy comes back negative (not cancer), he will do another biopsy, taking larger samples. He said, if it came back negative again, he would then remove a larger lump from the tumor and do yet another biopsy.
He said if it cancer... it could be one of several types. He said, of the types of cancer it could be, lymphoma would be most responsive to treatment... but he does not yet know if it is cancer... or, if it is
cancer, what type.
He said, if it is cancer, he will recommend an aggressive treatment with radiation and/or chemotherapy... depending on the type... and he said he has seen tumors like this respond to treatment... that is, he spoke of a
recent patient with a lymphoma whose tumor was shrunken by treatment. But again, we don't know it is lymphoma, or even if it is cancer.
Beth was in a lot of pain when she woke up, as they took many samples from her throat, tonsils, etc. She was, however, communicating a lot with Katherine and me (by pen).
Right now Katherine, Florence and all the girls are on their way over to Auntie Lauel's for supper. Desley is by Beth's side in the hospital. I am heading back over there now.
...
As I was typing this I got a call from the oncologist at the hospital who said they are scheduling Beth for an examination tomorrow at the cancer clinic at the hospital to assess what would be needed for aggressive
treatment, should the biopsy results indicate cancer. I asked him for a better sense of how long it will take to get those biopsy results... and he said he thinks about a week. They just want to be prepared.
I'm also grateful for Tony and that he can give us this information so clearly, answering so much! Keep strong Melinda!
ReplyDeleteMelinda, I'm praying for for you and Earl and Mary today as you can't be near your mom. We're sure missing you over here (quite an understatement)
ReplyDeleteSweet friend. . . God really IS near at these tough times. We continue to pray -- believing for a miracle!!
ReplyDelete