Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pumpkin Weekend

This was the great pumpkin weekend.  It started with baking pumpkin pies - from SCRATCH! Like not from the can.  Pie was great and was pretty easy to make from start to finish.  Saturday afternoon we headed over to Tanaka Farm and picked out our pumpkin from the patch.  It was a HOT day - 85 degrees.  Despite the heat wave, we enjoyed our time.  On Sunday night we carved our pumpkin and placed him outside.  Now before we blew him out for the night, Earl suggested that we bring him inside overnight.  I was sure that he would be fine staying outside and told Earl to leave him out there.

Last night when I lit the candle I encountered a slug and then a couple hours later Earl saw roaches crawling all over the pumpkin.  I proceeded to plead that we save our little pumpkin and bring him inside, but Earl said he is now an outside pumpkin and he can't be brought inside.



Tonight we put him up on the ledge of our patio and we are hoping he's "safe" up there.
 

4 comments:

  1. i cannot get enough of that photo with earl punkin head... love it... and i bet that pie was delicious, maybe for Thanksgiving we will do that

    ReplyDelete
  2. should have listened to earl! guy knows his punkin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL This is too funny. I can soo see me telling Kuma the same exact thing and asking him to save it only to be told no as well. =) Sometimes you just gotta listen to your husband. =) I've never carved a pumkin, it looks hard because it's so thick. You guys did a good job though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops. I have to agree with Earl on that one. Ick.

    I still need to send you a bread recipe. I'm going to bake some tomorrow. YUM. :)

    ReplyDelete