Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sealing the Deal

Tonight at dinner, my friend Christy asked me what Earl and I had in common when we were dating and what was it that sealed the deal.  To be honest, we didn't really date, so the things we have in common now are different than before we got married, but I do know what sealed the deal.



This picture reminds me of Earl's love of Jenni. Watching him interact in a real, honest way and develop a relationship and friendship with Jenni showed me his heart of mercy and compassion. And I knew I could forever pledge myself to someone who gladly accepted every piece of my life - and my whole family.



Earl loves a good adrenaline rush. But I love this picture because this is a part of who he is - the daredevil in him.  The guy that has more scars than anyone I know with all the stories that go behind them. I love to trace those scars and hear the stories.



Earl flew out for my college graduation.  He planned the trip and tricked me.  And utterly surprised me.  I knew when I spotted him walking towards me before my graduation that he loved me enough to go through all that and I knew that I was worth it to him. Earl has been a part of certain important events of my life and the fact that he just KNOWS those things, first hand, gives me comfort.



Earl and I joke.  A lot.  We are sure that no one else has as much fun as we do.  He makes me smile, laugh and happy.  He calms me and encourages me.  And he loves my funny faces.




And this picture is from our wedding day.  Because the man that stole my heart almost 7 years ago still has a firm grasp on it and I am glad to let him have every part of me.

Happy birthday, my love.  Keep having fun, but please come home soon!!

And Happy Birthday, Tony!! Hope you have a wonderful day!!!

5 comments:

  1. made me cry i love you i love earl... he has charmed your mama completely and a whole gaggle of sisters, even the curly haired one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the story of Jenni and Earl - a real deal maker! Happy birthday, Earl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone who loves Jenni madly and welcomes her sincerely has my heart as well... I can see why he has your's. Blessings always to you both.. and hey, October is a wonderful birthday month! Mine was last week! Happy birthday Earl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful tribute to Earl. I hope - one day - to meet you both in person. I have questions. . .and a bass-playin' kid (and husband) that would just LOVE to "talk shop" with him!

    Happy Birthday, Earl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i find that i really enjoy earl's company, and i think that he's one of the smartest, wisest people i've met. he treats me like a grown up, and he's a brother (in more ways than one) and a friend. i hope that we're all lucky enough to find an earl.

    it was a beautiful post, melinda!

    ReplyDelete