Monday, August 24, 2009

A Delicious Mistake

Every Sunday Earl and I head over to Henry's Marketplace to grocery shop for the week.  We split up - he gets the fruits and veggies, I get any frozen items and dairy products and then we meet up by the deli and meat counters.  Earl orders his turkey and I get the seafood.  This week we actually switched it up and went out on Friday after I got home from work, which may be why the following happened: I got the wrong kind of fish.  

Earl could eat the same thing every night of the week and keep on loving it.  Lately, he's been loving salads with a hardboiled egg, carrots, mushrooms, almonds, balsamic vinaigrette dressing and a rotation of chicken, shrimp, and fish.  Usually he likes either salmon or steelhead trout.  This week, I accidently just said "trout" and we ended up with rainbow trout.  It's not that we avoid it on purpose for any real reason, just mainly because we always get salmon or steelhead trout.  

Tonight I pulled out the fish packet and opened it to start cooking it and was stunned to find white fish instead of pink.  I sprinkled some seasoning on the fish, stuck it in the oven and in no time was peeling some of the most delicious fish we have had in a while.  It was flaky and juicy. Earl promptly declared we should get it again - and soon!  

As proof, I have included a couple photos of the yummiest mistake.


5 comments:

  1. that bottom photo is amazing... i want to eat that now and its in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look yummy... I am not usually a big fan of fish, but I'm starting to warm up to it. A neighbor of ours brought us some freshly caught salmon (from Lake Michigan) the other day and it was delicious. Maybe I'll try trout...

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you ever find out what kind of fish it was? Might help when ordering it again! Does look very yummy, though! (except for the head!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kate - it was rainbow trout and quite yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooohhhh, I LOVE Rainbow trout! Haven't had any since catching them myself in CT... and it's been years!

    ReplyDelete