Saturday, August 22, 2009

Julie & Julia and the Fun in Life

Last weekend was spent with the Shachah ladies and we enjoyed a dinner at Outback Steakhouse and then we watched Julie & Julia.  It was a wonderful evening.  I have actually heard mixed messages about this movie mainly related to Julia Child not liking the whole idea, but after having watched the movie, I have fallen in love with trying new things again.
I spent today contemplating the passions in my life: gardening, knitting/crocheting, cooking, reading.  All things that have somewhat fallen to the wayside as of late.  I used to eat up everything related to these fields.  I used to spend time pouring over cookbooks, watching the Food Network and plotting the week's meals.  Now, I make a few different meats on Sunday and make salads for Earl and brown rice for me for throughout the week.  Thoroughly boring.  I used to read voraciously.  I used to look over gardening books and visit knitting websites.  Now, not so much.
Julie Powell says that Julia Child made her have fun again.  Julie & Julia sure stoked my fire for blogging, blogs, cooking, etc etc.  Earl and I ran around getting errand after errand done today and then tonight I pulled out my Bon Appetit cookbook and looked through the vegetable, potato and meat sections.  I modified the recipes slightly, but decided to cook peppered steak, roasted small red potatoes and steamed broccoli with crushed red peppers.  It was a delicious dinner and one I savored even more because I spent the time cooking it.  Now, I can't wait to find a new pattern and whip up some new crocheted pieces.  

2 comments:

  1. now i really want to see the movie... and i love hearing you excited about things as you are one of the most creative and productive people i know... remember your plan for Thursday Family Dinner... we made fabulous meals ...all of us together... i can still see pasta drying all over the kitchen. i love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark and I went to see this over the weekend. And, although I thoroughly enjoyed every minute -- I was kind of disappointed at JC's reaction to being admired, as well.

    I also struggled with the notion that blogging is so ego-centric. I suppose there is a tidbit of truth in that statement -- but I don't consider myself narcissistic because I blog. (Maybe some conviction?!?!) :)

    Anyway -- I'm glad it made you want to cook certain things. ME? I"m thinking Beef Bourginone (of course, I can't spell it) but I'm going to make it. . . soon!

    ReplyDelete