Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Living Like it's Your Last

Yesterday, I posted a link to a blog from a friend of a friend of a friend. I have been marinating in these thoughts and having said goodbye to the family during this trip I decided to post this blog. David Wenzel recently discovered that he has had a brain tumor growing for some 20 years in a very special part of his brain that is integral to his passion and calling. Stephanie Jenkins discovered that her uterus was crumbling to pieces from the ravaging effects of cancer upon the birth of her fifth child. Shortly thereafter they found nodules on her lungs. Stephanie is literally fighting for her life as she is undergoing the most aggressive chemo available. David is getting ready to undergo his own bout of radiation and chemotherapy. Both are living with the realization that there is no guarantee of the next day. Recently a number of "sudden" deaths have taken place in the celebrity world. There is no guarantee of the next day. When saying goodbye to Grandma next to the house as the tears filled her eyes I could see that she realized that no matter what, she did not want the last memories to be of being cranky, she wanted to make sure that I knew she loved me. Are we living like we may or may not have ten years, ten days, ten minutes left to live? How would I be living differently? Would I treat people differently? Would I stress about work? What would I care about? Does my life reflect my priorities? Probably, at this point, no. Hopefully soon I will be able to say yes.

1 comment:

  1. first thank you for the link to jump david jump, and i have been praying for stephanie. Your grandma tells me frequently that she is going soon and that drives me nuts because i dont want to think about that... but but but it is important to remember for all of us. Good post and worthy of the time spent writing.

    ReplyDelete