I have been ignoring some other books waiting on my bookshelf next to my bed (yes, I need a bookshelf and not just a nightstand, because everyone in my family is a book worm and could probably line our collective residences with EVERY book we've read from floor to ceiling!). I have started The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. Somehow I have managed to go 26 years without reading this.
There is one particular passage that is stuck on my mind today.
When I was a little girl…, I went to my father and said, “Daddy, I am afraid that I will never be strong enough to be a martyr for Jesus Christ.” “Tell me,” said Father, “When you take a train trip to Amsterdam, when do I give you the money for the ticket? Three weeks before?”
“No, Daddy, you give me the money for the ticket just before we get on the train.” “That is right,” my father said, “and so it is with God’s strength. Our Father in Heaven knows when you will need the strength to be a martyr for Jesus Christ. He will supply all you need – just in time.
Now, I am not requiring the strength to be a martyr at this point, but we have officially entered the summer season. And for this household, that means Earl's on the road. Two years ago he travelled for eight weeks straight on tour. Last summer, the longest jaunt was five weeks. This year, we only have a few 2-3 week trips!! Not too bad!!
Each time I am amazed how the Lord gives me *just* enough strength to get through each separation. When they are just weekend trips, I can't wait for him to get home just as when it's a five week trip. I am often asked if it's hard to be a "band wife" and I usually answer that it all depends on my attitude. If I chose to whine, cry and complain it's horrible, but if I chose to go with it and go for it, it really isn't that bad. And it's really because I am given the supply of what I need when it's time.
Earl left early this morning and is currently en route to Maryland for the weekend. I have a DSAOC pizza making event this weekend and hopefully some beach time!
I am thrilled you are reading that book, it was a life changer for me, and i have been quoting Corrie TEn Boom ever since. (ahem i might add that I have been trying to get you to read her for a few years) you know there is on the internet a testimony she gave i think at costa mesa. and PAstor Razz is given to quoting her.
ReplyDeleteI stayed up late last night to finish it. So good!! What really struck me was how she viewed the story as Betsie's story and not her story. I will definitely have to see if I can find some video of her speaking.
ReplyDelete